A delightful finish to any meal. Enjoy the smooth, silky custard paired perfectly with sweet tropical flavours that are balanced with fresh citrus fruit.
- 1 Use oil spray to lightly grease a 24 cm x 14 cm x 7 cm loaf tin. Thinly slice fruit into rounds (no more than 0.5cm thick). Arrange fruit slices at bottom of tin, covering as much area as possible without the fruit coming too far up the sides of the tin.
- 2 In a small bowl, combine orange mango jelly crystals and 1 cup (250 mL) of boiling water. Stir with a fork to dissolve well. Gently pour over fruit and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until set firm. If the fruit slices move when transferring to the fridge, use a fork to reposition before setting.
- 3 Empty custard sachets into a large (3-4 L) microwave safe bowl. Add milk slowly and whisk until well combined.
- 4 Place in microwave and cook on high for 3 minutes. Remove and gently whisk for 30-60 seconds. Return to microwave and cook a further 4 ½ minutes. Remove and whisk for another 30-60 seconds or until smooth.
- 5 In a small bowl, combine mango passionfruit jelly crystals and ½ cup (125 mL) of boiling water. Stir with a fork to dissolve well. Add to custard and use a spatula to mix until all incorporated. Let cool to room temperature before pouring over set jelly layer. Refrigerate for 2-4 hours, or until set firm.
- 6 To serve, remove flan from fridge and let sit at room temperature for at least 10 minutes. Sit tin in a warm water bath for 10-15 seconds at a time to loosen edges. If jelly layer begins to melt before custard layer loosens (if orange liquid becomes visible), stop using water bath. Instead, use a tea towel soaked in very hot water and wrap it around the sides of the tin. Rub the tin with the tea towel to help loosen edges.
- 7 Place a serving dish on top of the flan tin and flip both over at the same time whilst pressing together firmly. The flan should fall out if loosened enough. If not, repeat step 6 until it does. Use a sharp, warm knife to slice.